Friday, October 9, 2009

Learning To Sew

Just curious how you all learned to sew. It has became very clear to me that I don't have any natural sewing talent and this isn't going to come easy for me. Was there a book you found helpful? An instructional video? I sit down and look at a pattern and I just don't get it! I understand the basics of sewing for the most part, but I can't read and understand a pattern to save my life. I guess I just need to be patient and practice, practice, practice. I would love to hear any advice that any of you have for a new sewer.

I hope you all have a great weekend! We are going to see Wicked this evening and I am so very excited.

3 comments:

  1. I started learning to sew by altering t-shirts with help from my mom. Then I bought a purse pattern, had my mom help me with the instructions, and I've been sewing ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie, Welcome to blogland. A blogger called Sigrid put together a very useful compilation of sewing tutorials www.sewingtutorials.blogspot.com. The site is no longer active, but there is a wealth of material there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jamie, welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. If you understand the basics of sewing then I would recommend you to start with fairly easy patterns. If you use some nice fabric than the effect will be great and no-one will notice that the pattern is actually simple. And it's just like you say: practice, practice, learn, and practice some more. But don't forget to have fun in creating while doing so!

    ReplyDelete